by July 7, 2008 @ 7:07 pm
This came out of nowhere. Literally. Square Enix today announced that tomorrow will see the release of Soul Summoner: The Unsung Heroes, a full-scale tactical RPG developed for the iPod. That’s right — the iPod.
Fully controlled by the iPod’s circular clickwheel, Soul Summoner transforms songs stored on your device into “Tune Troopers,” which you’ll command to combat the nefarious Mechanical Militia. Interestingly, the types and abilities bestowed upon your army of Tune Troopers is determined by the songs used to create them.
Sounds neat. Compatible with the video-capable iPod nano, iPod classic and fifth generation iPod, the game will be available for purchase direct from the iTunes store tomorrow, in both Japanese and English. Full details after the break.
SQUARE ENIX ANNOUNCES SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes, a Full-Scale Role-Playing Game for iPod, Now Available on iTunes
LOS ANGELES (July 7, 2008) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix™ interactive entertainment products in North America, announced the release of SONG SUMMONER™:
The Unsung Heroes, on sale at the iTunes® Store worldwide (www.itunes.com) and available for play in English and Japanese on the iPod nano with video, iPod classic and fifth generation iPod.
SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes is a Role-Playing Game that transforms your iPod® songs into powerful “Tune Troopers” that you can control in battle! As the protagonist Ziggy, you will embark on an epic journey to rescue your brother from the clutches of the Mechanical Militia! Intriguing characters, an epic story and a tactics-based battle system combine for a rich RPG experience previously only available on home and handheld game consoles.
SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes
Publisher: Square Enix, Inc.
Platform: iPod nano with video, iPod classic and fifth generation iPod
Launch Date: July 8, 2008
Price: 4.99 USD (iTunes Store download)
From the days of old, Melodica was a land of music, a land of freedom. The people sang, played and danced to the music they so cherished. Until one day, they came — the Mechanoids, who enhanced their bodies with machinery. Those who were tempted by greed and power willingly gave away their souls for bodies of steel, forsaking their humanity to become cold, emotionless automatons. Now, they seek to destroy all that do not embrace their way of life.
But there is hope on the horizon. There are those who are fated to stand against the tyranny of the machines — the Superstars, who can turn sound into lethal weapons, and the Conductor, also known as the Song Summoner, who can summon powerful warriors born of music.
In their most desperate hour, Melodica awaits the arrival of their new Song Summoner…
– Transform your iPod songs into “Tune Troopers” to combat the evil Mechanical Militia.
– Tune Trooper types and abilities are determined by the songs used to create them.
– Your Tune Troopers can be powered up even outside of the game–just by listening to the songs you used to create them!
– Control Ziggy, a “Conductor” that creates warriors out of music, and guide him through his journey to save his brother Zero from the Mechanical Militia.
– Experience a turn-based tactics battle system, divided into player and enemy phases where each side takes turns maneuvering their forces.
– Deploy the right troopers at the right time, and use contraptions found on the map effectively to achieve victory in battle!
– iPod Click Wheelallows players to play the game as easily as selecting music.
Follow this author on Twitter.